Thursday, November 13, 2008

This I believe

I believe in good karma. Most people see karma as something negative, but I believe that what comes around goes around has been very positive in my life. I believe that it is most rewarding when you do something for someone out of the kindness of your heart, not expecting something in return.

For example, one day I had just gotten home from school and noticed my elderly neighbor going down her driveway to get her mail. The night before we had had a huge snow storm that accumulated nearly a foot of snow. As I was walking inside my house I heard a scream and noticed my neighbor had fallen on an ice patch at the bottom of her driveway. With out any hesitation, I ran over to help her up. She kept complaining about the pain in her hip, and ordered me to call an ambulance. When they arrived I helped her grab her purse and call her son to tell him what happend. It turned out that she broke her hip from the fall. I felt bad, so I came over to help with anything she needed. When it snowed, I shoveled her driveway. I brought in her mail for her and did what ever she needed me to do. I felt good about myself because nobody was forcing me to do this for her. About a month after her accident, I recieved a letter in the mail from my neighbor, as I opened it, a check for $200 fell out onto the floor! I was so shocked, I felt like it was too much to give me, seeing as I never intended on being paid in the first place. I took the money to her house and asked her to take it back, but she would not.

I felt that doing good for someone was a great enough reward, but receiving something unexpected was a great surprise.

I believe in good karma :)

6 comments:

Shauna Ohhh said...

Oh Lord. I am SOOO sorry to hear about your poor little neighbor. that is tragic. You know my dad owns a nursing home, and elderly people falling has seem to just become a part of my life, it is pretty tragic to see happen, and i am VERY proud of you for helping her out! Doing a good deed for someone is very much rewarding. I am glad you have learned that! Loveeee you boo! :)

Nicole H. said...

Wow! I loved that story. The way you helped her out was sooooo sweet of you. I can totally relate because I also have an older neighbor couple that can't get around very well so evey year we shovel their sidewalk/driveway, put up their Christmas lights, and other random things to help out. And we never, ever ask for anything or expect anything from them. But eveyonce in a while they will give us some money or they will get us a little something cute for a Christmas present. That was such a sweet thing of you to do. Go good karma!

Justin G said...

Thats a great story and a very nice thing to do; however, I dont really buy into karma. I liked the story and understand that you didn't know you were going to get paid, but the lady paid you because she was a nice lady and she thought that was the right thing to do. I believe that good things happen to good people when other good people are involved. What I by this is that, if the lady wasn't a nice person you would have not gotten paid for your hard work.

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

That was really nice of you. But in spite of that story I have to disagree. I don't believe in karma but I do believe in doing good things for people regardless of the situation. I believe that you should show random acts of kindness every day without looking for any return what so ever.

Natalie H said...

I also belive in karma. Sometimes it feels like people don't get what they deserve (that goes both ways) But I think in the end things will even out. The return may not come immediatly, but I think it usually comes eventually.

Hannah T said...

That's so sad! I feel so bad for older people because it seems like they just get pushed aside a lot of times by their family without help. I see this a lot at my parent's pharmacy because these old people come in by themselves and struggle just to get out of the car. :( It was really nice of you to help her, and it sounds like you were reimbursed for that pretty well. :)