Monday, December 8, 2008

My metamorphosis

Although this has been an ongoing experience, I oldest sister Katy has been a major of my life and my metamorphosis.

My sister has never really been a huge part of my life. She had been a trouble maker in high school and been forced to move awaly to live in a small town outside of Duluth, Minnesota to live with my sick grandma, as sort of a punishment.
Now, I guess you could say my metamorphosis has two phases.
The first phase of my metamorphosis was taking on the role of being a big sister. I have another sister who is 16 months younger than me. We have always been very close and she has always looked up to me. Because Katy, my older sister, was never really around, or the type of role model my parents wanted my sister and I to have, I felt the pressure to be better than her.
Growing up was hard, because I was constantly compared to Katy. You could kind of say that my sister ruined my mothers trust towards my younger sister and I. My mom was always on edge about what I would be doing. I'd ahve early curfew's and would constantly have to check in with her. After Katy got in so much trouble, my mom made it so she wouldn't make the same mistake with her other children. As the years went on, my sister decided to move back in with us. Things were going well, until she met Sean. Sean was a horrible person with very bad habbits and started pulling my sister down with him. He turned my sister into his slave and would make her do everything for him. He was lazy and got into a lot of trouble. My family absolutely hated him. He was so rude to us and my parents, and respect is a huge thing for any family. Sean lacked that the most. Katy ended up moving out of the house and got an apartment with Sean. A few months went on and we found out some news that shocked some of us, but angered most.

This is where my second phase comes into play.

Katy came to our house and told us that she needed to talk to us. She informed us that she was 3 months pregnant, with Sean's baby. This made us very mad because we also found out that Sean was leaving her because she was pregnant. I felt like I was the only one who accepted Katy still. She would call me and just ask to talk because she felt that she couldnt talk to my parents because she felt ashamed. I now started to have to become best friends with my sister and try to understand what it was she was going through.

A month later, the baby was miscarried.

My sister was in a deep phase of depression and felt that the one thing that was going to love her the most was leaving her and she felt empty. After everyone was starting to get used to this pregnancy, it left her. It was the saddest time in her life. And Sean came back. Since my sister felt so alone, and vulnerable, she took him back. Things were falling back into what they used to be with her and she was "in love" with him.

About 5 months later, she was pregnant again.

Till this day, I still feel that she had this child because of the feeling she wanted back of being pregnant to make up the loss of her other child. I am now an aunt and it is a really good feeling. I have to take on the responsiblities of taking care of her and teaching her new things. My metamorphosis may not have been the happiest journey, but we have all learned from Katy's mistakes. Through life I have learned to take on responsibilies to make sure my younger sister, or myself make the same mistakes Katy did.

1 comment:

Keenen D said...

Ahh! That sucks that you always got compared to your older sister. That isn't fair at all. But they are saying that probably cause they know you got great potential and they want you to do better.

That is cool that you look up to your sister. I wish I had an older brother or something to look up to.